December 19, 2012

Christopher McQuarrie And Mark Millar Talk THE WOLVERINE


ScreenRant was also able to get a bit of information about Christopher McQuarrie's script for The Wolverine. While there have been rewrites since Darren Aronofsky exited the film. Christopher's original script only had one mutant in the film which was Wolverine. He names legendary Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa (Ran, Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood) as a big influence on his writing of the script.

The truth of the matter is that ‘Wolverine’ I consider to be one of my favorite scripts that I’ve ever written. I really held it near and dear to my heart, and I was sorry that circumstances worked out that I couldn’t be there and be involved in that movie. I’m almost afraid to see what it’s evolved into, because that’s the nature of the process.

"Well you know, it was an X-Men movie – it was a Marvel movie – but it existed very much in a real world. And more than anything, I love it for the very fact that – at least in the script I wrote – he was the only mutant in the movie… It was what you’d imagine the Wolverine universe to be under the control of somebody who wrote ‘The Usual Suspects’ and ‘The Way of the Gun’ and is a fan of Sergio Leone. It was Kurosawa’s Wolverine. There was a real romance to it, there was real humor to it, and a very straightforward sort of plain-faced brutality to it. I’m hoping they preserve that. 

Hugh was really great, I liked working with Hugh a lot – he was very understanding, very open and supportive of me – so I’ll be very interested to see how that film turns out." 

Fox's new Marvel creative consultant Mark Millar recently revealed he watched the first ten minutes of the film. Millar said it's a superhero film legendary director David Lean would have made. Lean is best known for iconic films such as Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge On The River Kwai and Doctor Zhivago. It's high praise but Mark could be giving lip-service to a studio currently making films based on his comic books.

"The script is amazing and Mangold is such a brilliant director," writes Millar. "Seen the first 10 mins and it looks like David Lean doing a superhero movie. This the one that's going to surprise people. This and First Class were Year Zero for the Fox Marvel movies as far as I'm concerned." 




No comments:

Post a Comment