May 4, 2010

Spierig Brothers To Direct Power of The Dark Crystal


It's been officially announced that the Spierig Brothers (Undead, Daybreakers) will direct Power of The Dark Crystal. The long awaited sequel to the 80's classic Henson Company film The Dark Crystal. I have to say I'm shocked they've hired directors most known for graphically violent films to make a child's film. I'm just glad it's finally going into production. Growing up on films like The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth I hate CGI being used instead of puppetry. So this news sort of excites me, too bad this wasn't done in the early 90's where it could have been more magical. The film will have a mix of live-action puppets, CGI and 3D elements. I'm curious to see if they'll be able to keep the film's theme as dark as it was in the 80's.

"Set hundreds of years after the events of the first movie when the world has once again fallen into darkness, Power of the Dark Crystal follows the adventures of a mysterious girl made of fire who, together with a Gelfling outcast, steals a shard of the legendary Crystal in an attempt to reignite the dying sun that exists at the center of the planet."

No comments:

Post a Comment