January 18, 2010

REVIEW: A Serious Man


I had been apprehensive to watch the new Coen Brothers film. Being very disappointed by Steven Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience I was cautious of films with unknown casts. I eventually got around to watching it and the film wasn't what I was expecting it was excellent. The 1960's Jewish suburban setting felt fresh and worked greatly. It's another dark comedy what the Coens' do best. While their last film Burn After Reading had been amusing it fell short to impress. Serious Man on the other hand reminded me more of Fargo and The Big Lebowski. It was beautifully shot and took in all the colors of the 60's. I think we're going to be seeing more from actor Michael Stuhlbarg, his performance made the whole film work. If you like the work of the Coen Brothers you will enjoy this movie.

A-

No comments:

Post a Comment