January 31, 2010

REVIEW: The Firm



I'm sort of a fan of director Nick Love's previous films but I have to admit I felt this remake was unnecessary. The original Firm starring a furious Gary Oldman was amazing and hard to improve upon. That's where Love's version falls flat it really didn't have great performances or even that much violence you'd expect from a hooligan film. If you're going to remake a movie you should try to set it part from the original. The only difference was that this one was dull yet colorful. It seemed like Nick Love spent more time in the costume department making sure every extra and actor looked good rather than focusing on the lacking script and slim violence. I've noticed since The Business that Love's obsession with jumpers and trainers has hurt his films. Love's good luck charm Danny Dyer wasn't in this movie for some reason but that didn't stop him from finding his younger look alike. The young actor was painful to watch in most scenes. I doubt people will get a chance to see this in theaters and I can only recommend this for rental if that. While I didn't like 44 Inch Chest there were some redeeming qualities to that film, Nick Love's The Firm was just terrible.

D-

No comments:

Post a Comment